Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with these five fantastic and flavorful recipes!
1. Corn on the Cob
4 ears corn, unhusked
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. chili powder
Fresh cilantro, to taste
Salt & pepper, to taste
Sauce (recipe below)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place corn, in its husks, directly on the oven rack. Roast until tender and cooked through, about 35-40 minutes.
2. Peel down the husks. Rub each ear of corn with the olive oil, chili powder, salt and pepper. Top with Fauxmagerie Zengarry Creamy Swiss cashew cheese sauce and fresh cilantro.
½ c. Fauxmagerie Zengarry Creamy Swiss cashew cheese
½ c. vegetable broth
1. In a pan, over medium heat, mix the Fauxmagerie Zengarry Creamy Swiss cashew cheese and the vegetable broth. Cook until you get a creamy texture.
2. Cheesy Layered Bean Dip
1 can refried beans with jalapeños
3/4 c. salsa
Zengarry Queso Sauce (recipe below)
1 c. chopped romaine lettuce
3 green onions, chopped
A handful of sliced black olives
1. Layer the refried beans in an oven proof dish. Top with salsa and Zengarry's Queso Sauce. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven. Top with lettuce, green onions and olives.
2. Serve warm with your favourite nacho chips!
Zengarry Queso Sauce
1 pkg. of Fauxmagerie Zengarry Smokey Jalapeño Cashew Cheese
1/2 c. of unsweetened almond milk or vegetable broth
1/2 c. prepared salsa Cayenne pepper to taste (a little goes a long way! Just a pinch will do!)
1. In a small sauce pan combine Fauxmagerie Zengarry Smokey Jalapeño Cashew Cheese and almond milk over medium low heat.
2. Chop the cheese with a spoon and whisk until smooth and creamy.
3. Add salsa and cayenne pepper and warm. Don't heat too much, you don't want it to boil or stick to the pan!
3. Cheesy Refried Bean Taquitos
1 wheel of Fauxmagerie Zengarry Smokey Jalapeño cashew cheese
12 small corn tortillas
1½ c. refried beans
5-6 green onions, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a large baking sheet generously with olive oil or line it with parchment paper and set it aside.
2. Heat the corn tortillas for about 10 seconds in the microwave to soften them.
3. Spread 1 Tbsp of Fauxmagerie Zengarry Smokey Jalapeño cashew cheese on the middle of each tortilla, lengthwise.
4. Spoon 1 Tbsp of refried beans onto the middle of each tortilla spread out on top of the cheese.
5. Sprinkle some chopped green onion onto the refried beans on each tortilla.
6. Roll each tortilla tightly and secure with a toothpick placing them on the baking sheet seam side down. Brush the top of each taquito with olive oil.
7. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Flip the tortillas and bake for another 5 minutes, until edges are slightly browned.
8. Serve with your favourite Tex-Mex inspired dips, like Zengarry Queso sauce, Easy 4 ingredient guacamole (see below) and salsa.
Easy Four Ingredient Guacamole
½ a small red onion minced (about 2 Tbsp)
2 ripe avocados
juice from ½ a lemon
¼ c. of your favourite salsa
1. Peel and mash avocados in a medium sized bowl.
2. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. This can also be done in a food processor for a creamier consistency.
3. You may want to add a bit of salt and pepper depending on the type of salsa you use.
4. Crispy Tofu Tacos
4-6 corn tortillas
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 block tofu, extra firm
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder
4 Tbsp. olive oil
1 c. panko crumbs
Salt & pepper, to taste
1. Roll up the block of tofu in a new layer of paper towels, then place the covered tofu on a plate and place something heavy on top of it to help it drain.
2. Let the tofu drain at least 15 minutes.
3. Once the tofu is drained, cut the block in small cubes. Toss them in olive oil first, then in panko crumbs.
4. In a skillet over medium heat, cook the tofu cubes 2-3 minutes on each side until crispy.
5. Season with garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper.
6. Start building your tacos. Spread your corn tortillas on a surface, add red bell peppers, crispy tofu cubes, avocado, fresh cilantro and the Fauxmagerie Zengarry Smokey Jalapeno sauce.
For the sauce:
½ pkg. Fauxmagerie Zengarry Smokey Jalapeno cashew cheese
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 avocado, ripped
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. Sriracha sauce
1 tsp. salt
1. In a food processor, add the Fauxmagerie Zengarry Smokey Jalapeno cashew cheese, olive oil, avocado, paprika, Sriracha sauce and salt. Mix until well blended.
5. Pumpkin Black Bean Burritos with Queso sauce
2 tsp. olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeño, minced
1 can black beans, drained
1 1/2 tsp. chilli powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. pumpkin puree
1 Tbsp. lime juice
2 tsp. maple syrup
8-10 flour or corn tortillas
1 c. of your favourite salsa
Green onions, cilantro, and/or avocado for garnish
1. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and bell pepper and sauté until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add garlic and jalapeño and cook for 2 minutes more. Add the black beans, spices, salt pumpkin puree and stir in well.
3. Cook stirring until everything is heated through and well mixed. Remove from heat and add the lime juice and maple syrup.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an oven proof casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Lay a tortilla flat.
5. Fill with about 1/3 cup of the pumpkin mixture and roll up like a cigar. Place the burrito at the inside edge of the casserole.
6. Repeat this process with the rest of the tortillas, lining the filled burritos up next to each other in the casserole.
7. Top the tortillas with salsa and Zengarry Queso sauce.
8. Cover the casserole with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
9. Remove the foil and cook for 10 minutes more. Remove from the oven and let stand 10 minutes.
10. Garnish with green onions, cilantro and/or avocado and serve warm.