Everyone’s journey towards a more sustainable way of living has its own unique drives and motivations. The holidays are a great opportunity to share and shape celebrations around these ideas, values and experiences with loved ones. Here are some of the reasons why we at the Zengarry Kitchen think ‘greener’ and plant-based celebrations are an important element of getting into the holiday spirit, as well as some entertaining tips that we’ve adopted over the years.
Why Go Vegan for the Holidays:
1. Healthier Meals: Plant-based ingredients are often rich in fibre, essential 'healthy' fats, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Vegan meals are not only colourful, but they can help us meet our nutritional needs.
2. Better for the Planet: Animal agriculture is the second largest contributor to human-made greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions after fossil fuels and contributes to land and water pollution, biodiversity loss, deforestation and more. Every plant-based swap makes a difference!
3. Budget-Savvy: Plant-based proteins like beans, peas, lentils, nuts and seeds can be very cost-effective! They are versatile to cook with and often have a long shelf life. Great to buy in bulk at discounted rates!
Sustainable Holiday Hosting Tips:
1. Only Cook What You Need: Reduce your carbon footprint and the temptations of seasonal over-indulgence by being mindful of recipe yields when preparing your favourite recipes and serving guests.
2. Opt for Seasonal and Locally Produced Food: Support local farmers and economies by cooking with what is in season and available within your own local community. Try incorporating some of these: Brussels Sprouts, Rutabagas, Turnips, Beets, Carrots, Cabbage, Red Onions, Garlic, Leeks, Potatoes, Squash, Sweet Potatoes, Pears.
3. Encourage Guests to Bring Reusable Containers: Prevent food waste and get help with the clean-up by distributing leftovers amongst guests once the party is over.
Have a vegan holiday hack or recipe of your own? Email us at email@example.com for a chance to be featured on the Zengarry Kitchen!