Here is a quick and easy Vegan Butternut Squash Fettuccini Alfredo that is a lighter take on the classic and sneaks in extra nutrition with the Butternut Squash and the frozen peas hidden in the back of the freezer. Fettuccine Alfredo is one of the most basic and delicious pasta recipes, we just added A Little Zen to make it delicious, healthy and easy to make.
· 1 small or ½ a large butternut squash
· 1 yellow onion, minced
· 1 package of Fauxmagerie Zengarry Creamy Swiss cashew cheese
· ½ cup vegetable broth
· 1 pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
· 1 tsp salt (to taste)
· ½ tsp. freshly ground pepper (to taste)
· 1 package of fettuccini cooked according to directions
· 2 Tbsp. chopped chives or green onions
· 1 cup of cooked green peas (I used frozen and warmed them in the microwave)
1. Preheat the oven to 400°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Cut the butternut squash in half and place cut side up on the baking sheet. Scoop out the seeds and rub the squash all over with olive oil then flip it cut side down on the baking sheet.
3. Bake for 35-45 minutes until the squash is tender when pierced with a fork.
4. Allow the squash to cool. Scoop out the flesh with a spoon and add it to a blender or food processer.
5. Sauté the onion in olive oil on medium heat until soft.
6. Add the onion, Fauxmagerie Zengarry Creamy Swiss cashew cheese, vegetable broth, nutmeg and salt and pepper to the blender and blend until smooth.
7. Transfer the Alfredo sauce back into the pan used to sauté the onion and warm over medium low heat until heated through.
8. Add the cooked fettuccini noodles and toss to coat. Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the peas and mix to combine.
9. Serve garnished with chopped green onion and freshly ground pepper.