There is nothing that compares to a warm potato dish for comfort on a cool autumn day. These creamy individual scalloped potatoes make a great side dish or even a meal in itself. Our Garlic and Fine Herbs creamy cashew cheese gives this recipe that extra decadent taste to a family classic.
Individual Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
Makes 6-8 portions depending on the size of your serving dishes
10 medium sized potatoes, scrubbed
1 onion sliced thinly
3 Tbsp vegan butter
3 Tbsp all purpose flour
1 cup plant based milk of choice
1 package of Fauxmagerie Zengarry Garlic and Fine Herbs Cheese
2 Tbsp. chopped chives
1/2 tsp. salt
Additional salt and pepper to taste
1. Slice the onion thinly using a mandoline.
2. Add the vegan butter to a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium high heat. Add the onions and sauté for about 5 minutes until soft.
3. Add the flour and mix well to coat the onions. Stir in the milk gradually, mixing to prevent clumping.
4. Cook for another 3-5 minutes until it starts to thicken.
5. Add in the Fauxmagerie Zengarry Garlic and Fine Herbs Cheese and mix well until you have a thick sauce. If necessary thin it with a bit more plant-based milk or vegetable broth.
6. Add the chives and season with salt and pepper to taste.
1. Preheat the oven to 375 C.
2. Slice potatoes very thinly using a mandoline. Lazy cook hack: I used thin skinned white potatoes and left the skins on. Set aside.
3. Grease 6 - 8 ramekins or small oven-safe dishes with vegan butter.
4. Layer potatoes and sauce repeatedly until the containers are full, but not overflowing.
5. Place the filled ramekins on a cookie sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes. You'll know they're ready when a toothpick inserted into the center of the potatoes enters easily.
6. Remove the potatoes from the oven and top with additional chopped chives and freshly ground pepper.
Download the recipe to save or print!