We have taken our flavourful cashew cheese and asparagus and paired them together in 3 mouth-watering vegan recipes! They are so un-BRIE-lievably delicious that your family and friends will never guess that they are dairy-free!
Asparagus & Mushroom Phyllo Cigars
These crispy vegan phyllo cigar appetizers are sure to impress your guests! They are stuffed with our Zengarry Creamy Swiss cashew cheese, asparagus spears and mushrooms! Delish!
Lynda’s Tip: Make sure you don't let your phyllo sheets dry out or the pastries will get brittle. I keep them moist by covering the sheets I'm not using yet with parchment paper and a damp clean dish towel until I'm ready to use.
1 pkg. of vegan phyllo dough, thawed in the fridge overnight
1 pkg. of Zengarry Creamy Swiss cashew cheese
1 lb. of asparagus
1 lb. of sliced button mushrooms
1-2 Tbsp fresh sage, minced
2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
Olive oil for brushing
1. Blanch your asparagus in boiling water and then plunge it in ice water to stop the cooking. This way they stay a nice bright green and don't get overcooked. Sauté the mushrooms in a bit of olive oil (or broth or water) until softened.
2. Add sage and balsamic vinegar and sauté for 3 more minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
3. Take your phyllo dough out of the box and lay it on the counter covered by parchment paper and a damp dish towel. Carefully lay out 2 sheets of phyllo dough one on top of the other. Cover the rest of the sheets with the plastic and damp dish towel again.
4. Brush the tops of both sheets with olive oil (or spray with cooking spray).
5. Slice your phyllo dough widthwise (so you get 3 long rectangles about the width of a cigar).
6. Lay your stuffing (mushrooms, 2 asparagus stalks and a couple of dollops of Fauxmagerie Zengarry Creamy Swiss cashew cheese) along the bottom of your phyllo rectangle.
7. Roll each rectangle around your stuffing to form a cigar shape. Arrange your cigars on a baking sheet and brush with olive oil.
8. Cook in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F. for about 12 minutes, or until your cigars begin to turn golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve warm.
Asparagus Mushroom Tart
This recipe uses puff pastry or your favourite flat bread, so it can be put together quickly with no compromising the flavour! Your base is smothered in our popular Garlic & Fine Herbs cashew cheese! Mmmm.
1/2 package of vegan puff pastry, flat bread or any other kind of bread
1 Tbsp. vegan margarine
1 small onion, minced
1/2 pound of asparagus, cut into 1/2 inch pieces with 3-4 left long for garnishing the top of the tart
8-10 mushrooms, sliced some reserved for decorating the top of the tart
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. herbes de Provence
3 Tbsp. dry white wine
1/2 package of Fauxmagerie Zengarry Garlic and Fine Herbs cashew cheese
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Roll out puff pastry to a size to fit your tart pan. Spray your tart pan with a little non-stick spray. Lay your puff pastry in the tart pan and tuck in the edges.
3. Add margarine to a preheated non-stick frying pan. Add onion, chopped mushrooms, asparagus, garlic and herbs de Provence and sauté on medium heat until the vegetables soften (about 10 minutes). Deglaze the pan by adding wine and mixing well until most of the liquid has evaporated.
4. Turn the heat down to low and add Fauxmagerie Zengarry Garlic and Fine Herbs cashew cheese and salt. Mix well and remove from heat.
5. Spread your cheese mixture into the puff pastry shell and garnish with reserved asparagus spears cut in half lengthwise and mushroom slices.
6. Brush the top of pastry and tart with a bit of melted margarine and bake at 400 degrees F for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Cheesy Potato Salad with Spinach and Asparagus
Potato salad is a great summer staple but can be enjoyed all year round! We use baby potatoes, so there is no peeling involved!! This recipe is hearty and cheesy and sure to stick to your ribs. Use asparagus if it's in season, or sugar snap peas if not. Lots of fresh dill and freshly ground pepper gives it a traditional flavour.
1 lb baby potatoes, halved 1 lb asparagus, chopped in 1 inch pieces (or use 1 cup sugar snap peas) 2 c. baby spinach
2-3 Tbsp. fresh dill, chopped 1/2 wheel of Fauxmagerie Zengarry Garlic and Fine Herbs Cashew Cheese Juice from 1/2 a lemon 3 Tbsp. unsweetened almond milk salt and freshly ground pepper to taste 2 vegetarian sausages sliced into rounds
1. Boil the baby potatoes until just softened. Don't overcook. In the last 2 minutes of cooking time add the chopped asparagus. Drain and place in a large bowl. 2. While the potatoes are cooking fry up the sausage rounds. Add to the bowl. 3. Mix the dressing by whisking together the cashew cheese, lemon juice, almond milk and salt and pepper. 4. Add the dressing to the potatoes, asparagus and sausages. Add the spinach and dill and toss to combine. The spinach should wilt slightly. 5. Serve warm or cold. Enjoy!
Click here to find a store near you: