These crispy vegan phyllo cigar appetizers are sure to impress your guests! They are stuffed with our Zengarry Creamy Swiss cashew cheese, asparagus spears and mushrooms! Delish!
Lynda’s Tip: Make sure you don't let your phyllo sheets dry out or the pastries will get brittle. I keep them moist by covering the sheets I'm not using yet with parchment paper and a damp clean dish towel until I'm ready to use
1 pkg. of vegan phyllo dough, thawed in the fridge overnight 1 pkg. of Zengarry Creamy Swiss cashew cheese
1 lb. of asparagus 1 lb. of sliced button mushrooms 1-2 Tbsp fresh sage, minced 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar Olive oil for brushing
1. Blanch your asparagus in boiling water and then plunge it in ice water to stop the cooking. This way they stay nice bright green and don't get overcooked. Sauté the mushrooms in a bit of olive oil (or broth or water) until softened.
2. Add sage and balsamic vinegar and sauté for 3 more minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. 3. Take your phyllo dough out of the box and lay it on the counter covered by parchment paper and a damp dish towel. Carefully lay out 2 sheets of phyllo dough one on top of the other. Cover the rest of the sheets with the plastic and damp dish towel again.
4. Brush the tops of both sheets with olive oil (or spray with cooking spray). 5. Slice your phyllo dough widthwise (so you get 3 long rectangles about the width of a cigar).
6. Lay your stuffing (mushrooms, 2 asparagus stalks and a couple of dollops of Fauxmagerie Zengarry Creamy Swiss cashew cheese) along the bottom of your phyllo rectangle.
7. Roll each rectangle around your stuffing to form a cigar shape. Arrange your cigars on a baking sheet and brush with olive oil.
8. Cook in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F. for about 12 minutes, or until your cigars begin to turn golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve warm.
Not sure where to buy our delicious cashew cheese?
Visit our store locator to find a retailer near you!