Have you ever tried making savoury rolls? These are to die for! Using the same dough that's used for cinnamon buns, but this time with a cheese-y, garlicky, pesto filling. Easy to make and incredibly delicious!
Watch video demonstration here!
3 Tbsp vegan butter
1 packet instant yeast* (2 1/4 tsp)
1 cup dairy-free milk
1 Tbsp organic cane sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 package Zengarry Sundried-Tomato & Basil Cheese
4 TBS Zengarry Basil Pesto
1 cup spinach
1 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp Zengarry Basil Pesto
2 Tbsp vegan butter
1. Prepare the dough: In a bowl in the microwave at 30-second intervals, heat the milk and vegan butter until warm and melted, without boiling. Remove from heat and let cool until it is the temperature of a warm bath. If it's too hot, it will kill the yeast.
2. Add mixture to a large bowl and sprinkle in the yeast. Let sit for 10-15 minutes. Then add the sugar and the salt and stir.
3. Add in the flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring as you add (you may not use all the flour).
The dough will be sticky. When it is too thick to stir, transfer to a lightly floured surface, add flour if needed and knead until it forms a loose ball (try not to over-mix).
Rinse the mixing bowl, coat it with a bit of oil, and add your dough ball back in. Cover with plastic wrap or a tea towel and set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour. It will double in size.
4. Add the filling: Once the dough is ready, roll out the dough onto a lightly floured surface into a thin rectangle shape (about 1/4 inch). Spread the cheese on evenly over the whole surface, then the pesto. Top it off with the spinach then sprinkle on the salt.
5. Starting at one end, roll up the dough tightly and give the final seam a pinch so that it seals. Then with a floured sharp knife, cut the dough into 1.5 – 2 inch pieces and place position in a buttered 9×13-inch square or comparable sized round pan (about 10-12 rolls).
6. Cover with plastic wrap or tea towel, let rise in a warm place for about 30 min and then preheat oven to 350F.
7. Bake rolls for 30-35 minutes or until slightly golden brown. While baking, melt the butter and pesto and then lightly brush the tops with this mixture when done baking.
8. Let cool then serve them warm and fresh. Enjoy!